Providing oboe tuition at all levels in a relaxed, well-appointed home studio.
A highly qualified professional with an extensive background as an orchestral oboist, I have over ten years of private teaching experience catering to students from beginner to tertiary.
Lessons are delivered with a friendly whole-student approach that takes into account the individual goals and needs of the student, whether it be completing AMEB exams, learning oboe as part of a school band programme, pursuing music scholarships or music as a career, or simply learning for sheer pleasure.
I teach all ages from 8 upwards, and can adapt my lessons to suit your needs.
At all levels, I place a strong emphasis on correct technique, breathing and posture, achieving the best oboe sound possible. In addition, I take great pleasure in providing my students with a comprehensive knowledge about music in general. I aim to create not just oboists, but musicians.
I am passionate about music and all the ways it benefits my students. It is a privilege to witness and be a part of their musical, intellectual and emotional growth.
I stock oboe reeds suitable for beginner to intermediate levels, available for my current students to purchase at $25.00 each. These are the high quality K.Ge Student Artist reeds made from resilient and beautifully toned Chinese cane. They arrive machine profiled, and I hand-finish each one. Students are welcome to try a selection of reeds before purchase, and ongoing adjustments are provided during lessons at no extra cost. Every care is taken to make the process of trying reeds hygienic and safe.
I am also able to adjust reeds purchased elsewhere during lessons.
Tuition is available in all aspects of reed making and reed adjustment for the more advanced student.
Tuition in Music Theory, Music Craft and Musicianship (up to Grade 4) are available as an add-on to oboe lessons – please add 15 minutes to regular lesson time. I also teach Music Theory and Musicianship to Grade 4 level as stand-alone lessons.
30 minutes: suitable for a beginner to AMEB 3rd grade
45 minutes: suitable for AMEB 4th and 5th grades
60 minutes: suitable for AMEB 6th grade and above
Invoiced per term, aligned to NSW Public School terms.
Introductory, holiday and casual lessons are available on request and subject to my availability.
1. Lessons are delivered weekly, or twice weekly by request, according to public school terms. Most terms are 10 weeks. Students commit for the entire term. New students may commence mid-term if lessons times are available, and after that commit to full terms.
2. Invoices for the full term will be issued mid-term, and are payable within two weeks of issue.
3. Final term lessons are delivered on the Saturday at the end of week 10, usually the first Saturday of the school holidays. If a Saturday student cannot attend because they are travelling or for any other reason, a makeup lesson should be scheduled, preferably during the previous week.
4. In the case of illness or other reason a student cannot attend their scheduled time, a makeup lesson will be given at a mutually agreeable time. In the same way, if I cannot attend a lesson for any reason, a mutually agreeable time for a makeup lesson will be arranged. Please give me as much notice as possible for known events, however I will accept rescheduling for illness or injury before 9.00am on the day of the lesson. Unfortunately, cancellations after this time will result in a forfeit of the lesson fee. I am happy to teach via Zoom at any time for any reason – just let me know before the lesson is scheduled to begin.
5. One holiday makeup lesson will be available per student per term. More than this is dependent on my availability. Makeup lessons will ideally be scheduled during the school term as close as possible to the missed lesson so that the student does not lose momentum with their learning.
6. It is greatly appreciated if notification to discontinue lessons in the following term is given by the last week of the previous term, including the intention to discontinue lessons in the following calendar year.
Master of Music, Queensland Conservatorium of Music
Diploma of Arts in Music, Victorian College of the Arts
I have an extensive and diverse background as an orchestral oboist, working on a freelance and contractual basis over a period of eighteen years with the Australian Opera and Ballet Orchestra, the Sydney, Adelaide, Queensland, Tasmanian and Canberra Symphony Orchestras, the Queensland Philharmonic and the State Orchestra of Victoria. These engagements included Principal Oboe as well as Section Oboe and Cor Anglais positions.
I hold a Master of Music from the Queensland Conservatorium, in which I achieved the highest possible grade point average. My Masters' research into the interaction of muscles in oboe playing is a strong influence on my playing and teaching.
I have been teaching oboe in a private capacity from beginner to tertiary level since 2008, successfully guiding students through AMEB exams and HSC music recitals. I have previously tutored at the Central Coast Conservatorium of Music and Barker College Hornsby, and currently tutor oboe and music theory at St Ignatius’ College Riverview.
I have completed the certificate in Child Protection Awareness Training of the NSW Department of Education and Communities, and the Child Safe eLearning course provided by the NSW Office of the Children's Guardian.
I hold a current Working With Children Check Number and a National Police Check Certificate.
"Jill is a wonderful oboe teacher. We have been fortunate to have Jill teach and mentor our son over the past 3 years. The relationship between Jill and our son has been very rewarding and it is fantastic to see our son’s development and passion for the oboe grow over this time. Probably the most important aspect for us is her ability to connect with the student to make learning fun whilst helping the student achieve their goals. Jill has a unique ability to engage with her students to grow and compliment their creative and technical ability. She is always generous with her time particularly around examination preparation where her attention to detail is amazing. We have had other music teachers in the past and Jill is truly special and we would not hesitate to recommend Jill as an oboe teacher. Our son’s passion for the oboe is just as strong today as it was when he first started and a big part of that is attributable to Jill."
"Thank you for teaching me how to play the oboe so nicely. You have been very kind and thoughtful in how you teach. You make me wake up and want to play the oboe every day. I hope you can be my teacher forever." (Isabelle, age 9)
"My wife started to learn the oboe in the 1980's, having had very little exposure to music, but stopped after a short time. Recently, now in her late 70's, she wanted to learn again. We sought out a teacher and came across Jill in the teacher's website and decided to give it a go. I had learned clarinet previously so we went together. After talking to Jill, looking at her fantastic qualifications, we both decided to take up the oboe; what a good decision we both made. Jill has a real passion; is a brilliant teacher; very patient; it is so enjoyable to spend time with her. We receive good tuition and lots of encouragement. We have been taught by a few teachers over the years, but Jill is the very best! We would highly recommend her to any one of our age and younger."